Primary menu is the main navigation for a website.
- To set up primary menu navigate via WordPress Dashboard to the Appearance » Customize.
- Once in the Customizer, click on the Menus.
- In case your theme already has a primary menu, you can click on it to begin editing. Otherwise, click on the Create New Menu button instead.
- In the Menu Name text field, type in a name for your menu, then mark Primary Menu checkbox.
- Click on the Next button.
How to Add Menu Items
Beside published pages and posts, you can add several more different types of menu items to your custom menu:
- Custom Links – any URL,
- Category – Shows a feed of blog posts from a given category,
- Tags – Shows a feed of blog posts from a given tag.
- Format – Shows a feed of blog posts from a given format.
- To add item, in the new area that appears, click on the +Add Items button to start adding links.
- Once finished adding items to your menu, and you can add them as many as you like, click on Publish to apply changes to the live site.